The Shared Services Division will be charged the provision of centralized national shared services for counties and ministries, their maintenance and strategic automation programmes in ministries and counties to leverage competitiveness and innovation. The Division will undertake the following functions:
- Develop and manage strategic systems including shared services, security, infrastructure, networks, data centres, servers and electronic services of the Government of Kenya.
- Facilitate access to e-Government services, including e-mail, web services and Government domain name administration,
- Develop and maintain a set of Enterprise Architecture reference manuals in the 4 domains of business, information, application and technical to build a unified platform that will enable the government to optimize its development and cost of the underlying infrastructure
- Standardize the hardware, software, networks and platforms used to deliver shared data such as people, business and land data which is common to multiple ministries, common applications such as e procurement and business licensing, shared applications such as Finance and HR, and government portals for delivery of e services to citizens and businesses;
- Develop and maintain government-wide ICT blueprint that catalogues the current state as well as to provide the future state of government ICT to facilitate ministries and counties’ alignment to whole of government business objectives, and improve overall efficiency and effectiveness of government ICT investments
- Monitors business environment and technology for changes and recommend changes to the reference manuals
- Provide the technical reference relating to the selection of solutions that fully leverage the government’s investment and that builds applications for further integration and optimisation of government-wide programmes in the future.
- Develop, manage and operate a secure government data centre, which is a physical premise that houses all the key government ICT infrastructure, websites and business applications
- Provide a robust network infrastructure which connects all the ministries to one another, thereby enabling them to communicate via email system and have access to any other government online resources
- Research on new data centre technologies, and plan for capacity growth and technology refresh for the government data centre
- Implement Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) operations standards to optimize performance of the data centre
- Establish Business Continuity Plans (BCPs) and conduct exercises to ensure effectiveness of BCPs
- Ensure compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with sub-contractors and clients
- Provide the first point-of-contact for users in ministries and counties for all ICT requests and to service or escalate these requests within the stipulated SLA
- Manage vendors on outsourced projects and ensure compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Manage government-wide approved initiatives for the central procurement of ICT goods and services for ministries and counties use so as to reap economies of scale and ease of deployment and maintenance. E.g. Desktops, laptops, printers, servers, software development service, Commercial off-the-shelf products like Microsoft Office
- Assist the ministries in managing project risks and change management
The Shared Services division will be headed by a Director and will comprise three (3) sections within it, namely; Infrastructure and Systems Management, Enterprise Solutions and Project Management.